Celestron CGX-L 1100 RASA
Capturing impressive deep-sky astroimages is easier than ever with Celestron’s new Rowe-Ackermann Schmidt Astrograph, the perfect companion to today’s top DSLR or astronomical CCD cameras. This fast, wide-field f/2.2 system offers two huge advantages over traditional f/10 astroimaging: better apparent tracking and shorter exposures. That means you’ll create better-looking astroimages in a fraction of the time, even without the use of an autoguider.
The Rowe-Ackermann Schmidt Astrograph builds on the legacy of Celestron’s Schmidt Camera, which allowed astrophotographers to produce images on film in the 1970s.
Today, with CCD sensor sizes as large as film—or larger—the Schmidt Astrograph offers a 43.3mm optimized image circle to capture pinpoint stars on the largest imaging chips. (Note: We previously published 70mm which is actually the aperture of the last lens in the telescope. The optical design has not changed). Combine this large image circle with a focal length of just 620 mm and you have an instrument suitable for wide-field imaging, creating huge mosaics of the night sky, surveying, and even comet hunting.
The Rowe-Ackermann Schmidt Astrograph features newly designed optics with 4-element rare-earth glass for images free of false color and aberrations like coma and field curvature. The optical quality and spot size across the entire image circle is unprecedented for an astrograph in this price range—or even that of a much more expensive instrument. The design also provides minimal vignetting.
Advanced features like a custom engineered linear brass focuser bearing and FeatherTouch Micro Focus Knob allow you to make the fine adjustments you need to capture the perfect shot. Meanwhile, a12V MagLev fan reduces cooldown time and provides optimal airflow through the dust filtered optical tube.
Engineered as a complete astroimaging system, every component of the Rowe-Ackermann Schmidt Astrograph is optimized for peak performance with DSLR and astronomical CCD cameras. Down to the thickness of the glass used in the included fully-multicoated optical window or an optional imaging filter, every component of the system has been taken into careful consideration to work together seamlessly.
Celestron’s newly designed CGX-L Computerized Equatorial mount is the latest addition to our fully computerized equatorial mount series. Capable of carrying Celestron’s largest optical tubes with ease, CGX-L is designed for backyard observatories and remote imagers looking for exceptional load capacity to weight ratio, compact design, and innovative features that fully support large telescopes, imaging kits, and the latest in wireless tech accessories.
Key design goals included larger 144 mm diameter worm wheels which provide smoother operation and can more accurately drive heavier loads, longer 270 mm dovetail saddle to support larger optical tubes, remote operation friendly features such as home and limit optical sensors, easier polar alignment adjustments, and better cable management overall. In addition to that, we’ve made mechanical and ergonomic improvements throughout to make the mount sturdier, easier to use, and easier to transport. COMPACT. ERGONOMIC. INNOVATIVE.
- Ultra-fast, 11-inch f/2.2 optical design with rare-earth glass for images free of false color, coma, and field curvature. Cuts imaging time by more than half
- Expansive 43.3 optimized image circle maintains pinpoint stars to the far corners of even the largest astroimaging sensors, while the usable field extends even further to 52 mm for larger format sensors.
- Custom engineered linear brass focuser bearing reduces image shift, while dual-speed 10:1 FeatherTouch Micro Focus Knob provides the most precise focusing
- Quiet, high-output 12V MagLev fan reduces cooldown time and blocks dust
- Common camera adapters (T-thread and M48) included for easy attachment to popular CCD and DSLR cameras
Computerized Mount Features:
New CGX-L Features
- Increased 75 lb load capacity. Exceptional load capacity to weight ratio
- Additional Aux accessory ports and autoguider port on the Dec axis for better cable management
- Larger 144 mm diameter worm wheels to better and more accurately drive heavier loads
- Longer 270 mm dovetail saddle to better support larger optical tubes
- Massive 70 mm stainless steel tripod legs with a wider stance for improved stability under heavy loads
- New accessory tray holds three 1.25” and two 2” eyepieces with an upright stand for your smartphone or tablet
- Heavy duty, 31.5 mm stainless steel counterweight shaft to support additional counterweights
- Optional add-on polar axis finderscope custom designed for CGX and CGX-L
- Supports WiFi and wireless operation accessories such as StarSense AutoAlign and SkyPortal WiFi Module (sold separately)
- Compact, lower profile equatorial head provides improved stability and portability. Sturdier and more rigid with quicker dampening time
- Improved motors provide more torque, better slewing and tracking under heavy loads
- Heavy duty belt-drive system minimizes backlash while providing smooth motor operation at full capacity
- Clear windows built into motor covers so pulleys and belts can be monitored
- Spring-loaded brass worm wheel and stainless steel worm gear reduce friction and provide optimum gear mesh
- Internal cabling for worry-free remote operation. Power input and lower accessory ports remain stationary while the mount slews to avoid snags
- Internal hard stops for both axes prevent cable tension and tripod strike
- Internal optical sensors on both axes for simple and safe remote operation
- Home sensors allow the mount to always start in the index position regardless of orientation before a power reset
- Limit sensors automatically shut off slewing or tracking before reaching the hard stop fail safe
- Includes Celestron’s new PWI telescope control software, co-developed by PlaneWave Instruments. Software features multi-point mount modeling for extremely precise pointing accuracy
- Software Polar Align: “All-Star Polar Alignment” allows quick and very precise polar alignment. Align on any bright named star without extra polar alignment accessories, apps, or other assistance
- Adjustable EQ head position to optimize center of gravity over the tripod and fully utilize the increased 3°-65° latitude range
- Dual-fit Vixen/CG-5 and Losmandy/CGE dovetail saddle
- +20° of additional tracking past the meridian on either side
- Redesigned tripod has a widened stance for added stability. The minimum tripod height has also been lowered per user feedback
- Tripod legs can be collapsed with accessory tray installed for faster setup and transport
- Integrated handles for easy transport and portability
- All-new ergonomically designed dovetail clamping knobs
- Innovative and improved polar alignment adjustment system
- All-new ergonomic adjustment knobs with reduced friction for smooth and easy positioning under full loads. Stationary latitude knob with a newly-designed linkage system greatly reduces the amount of friction when polar aligning the mount. Redesigned azimuth adjustment with low-friction Teflon bearings to make adjustments easy under full load. No more binding, rough adjustments!
- Easy to read latitude scale
- NexStar+ hand control with USB port
- USB 2.0 port used to connect directly to PC with PWI Software
- 2 available autoguider ports for optimum cable management
- PEC sensor and PPEC ready
- Threaded 12VDC power input barrel connector
- Internal Real Time Clock (keeps time and site information saved)
- On/Off rocker switch with red LED