The SkyWatcher Dobsonian 6 Inch Telescope 153mm/1200mm has a “parabolic” primary mirror to eliminate spherical aberration and a four-arm, secondary- mirror bracket with fine supports (0.5mm thick), to reduce diffraction spikes and light loss. In addition, this model includes a 2″ focuser with a 1.25″ adapter, allowing the use of either eyepiece size. This model also includes a new feature – tension control handles allow an adjustment of the level of friction applied during use.
WHAT is Dobsonian Telescope and WHY are they so damn cheap!?
A simple, elegant form of an alt-azimuth mount made to carry a Newtonian reflector was popularised by John Dobson in the late 1970’s. The Dobsonian mounted telescope is most popular among amateur astronomers and telescope makers because of its simplicity. The metal tube is almost entirely empty, save for the large primary mirror at the bottom. A ground-based mount replaces the expensive tripod found under most other telescopes, but still allows full pivot and swivel motions. This build saves hundreds of dollars compared to equivalently-sized 6 inch SCT or refractor telescopes, and you end up being able to see the same level of detail for a fraction of the cost!
So, what’s the catch?
Dobsonian telescopes are large and bulky. This means they are difficult to store and transport. If you need something small and easily portable, tripod mounted refractors and cassegrains are a much better option (although at a higher cost). Otherwise, you should seriously considering buying a Dobsonian, because the details you can see through one are truly out of this world.
- Magnifications (with eyepieces supplied): x48 & x120
- Highest Practical Power (Potential): x306
- Diameter of Primary Mirror: 153mm
- Telescope Focal Length: 1200mm (f/7.84)
- 2″ R&P focuser with 1.25″ adapter
- Eyepieces Supplied (1.25″): 10mm & 25mm
- Parabolic Primary Mirror with SiO Overcoat
- Diffraction Limited Optics
- 0.5mm Ultra-Thin Secondary Mirror Supports
- 6×30 Finderscope
- Super-smooth Azimuth Movement with Teflon Pads
- Wooden Alt-Azimuth Mount with Accessory Tray
- 73% more Light Gathering than 114mm